Mrs. Yurk currently serves in our seventh grade homeroom and is
the middle school English and Writing teacher as well as the
seventh grade literature teacher.
Mrs. Yurk was born in southwest Minnesota and raised in
northwest Iowa. She attended local public schools and
graduated from Sergeant Bluff - Luton High School. She was
led to pursue Christian education at Concordia University --
Wisconsin through the Christ-like influence of three
teachers: her mother, who showed limitless patience; her band
director, Mr. Black, who truly valued each one of his students; and
a college professor, Reverend Rasmussen, who fully understood that
teachers do not simply teach material, they teach, and reach,
kids. While at Concordia, Mrs. Yurk majored in Secondary
Education - English with a minor in music.
has had a number of teaching experiences prior to coming to St.
Paul, all of which have shaped her passion for
- Faith Lutheran Junior-Senior High School in Las Vegas,
- Trinity-Freistadt Lutheran School
- St. Philip Lutheran School in Chicago, Illinois
- College of DuPage (Chicagoland Area)
- Grace Lutheran School in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
has continued her personal education career throughout her teaching
positions. Besides her undergraduate degrees she has also
earned the following degrees and certificates:
- Master's Degree in Language and Literacy from National-Louis
- English as a Second Language Certificate from North Park
Mrs. Yurk has received the following professional awards and
- 2017 South Wisconsin District Elementary Educator of the
- 2017 Kohl Foundation Fellowship Finalist
- 2018 Concordia University Wisconsin Master Elementary Educator
of the Year
consistently challenges herself to grow professionally. She
is a member of the National Council of Teachers of English as well
as of the Lutheran Educators Association. She also continues
to attend conferences specifically directed for the Language Arts,
participates in professional book clubs, and voraciously reads and
collects current adolescent and young adult literature.
Mrs. Yurk's interests include spending time with her family,
singing, walking, and reading.
2 Corinthians 5:15 - Christ died for all, that those who
live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their
sake died and was raised.